Thursday, April 19, 2007

Virginia Tech and Related Topics

It is not my wish that this post be another painful commentary on the tragedy that took place. Instead, I will focus on some related issues that I have been pondering lately.

Media Sensationalism:
Everywhere I look, I see headlines like "MASSACRE AT VIRGINIA TECH" and "PROFILING A KILLER." I think these are exaggerated for commercial purposes. Of course, this is standard procedure for news agencies, and it is their right to try to advertise their product, but when it is so obviously sensationalized I feel like a line should be drawn.

I am thinking specifically of the words "massacre" and "killer." "Massacre" is a militaristic term, brought out to describe conflicts that are politically, socially, or territorially motivated. The first--and therefore most common--definition of "massacre" provided by searching for the word on www.dictionary.com is as follows: "The unnecessary, indiscriminate killing of a large number of human beings or animals, as in barbarous warfare or persecution or for revenge or plunder."

Some would argue that this fits the V-Tech situation to a T. But this definition illustrates something that is related to war, and blood feuds, and countries battling each other. It may not say it in the definition, but when I hear the word "massacre" my mind jumps to a scene straight out of "Braveheart," with the luckless side being mowed down by the more-determined, better-equipped side. It is violence with a distinct, shared purpose.

I suggest that a better word for what happened at V-Tech: Tragedy. Dictionary.com defines tragedy (after all the literary definitions have been sorted through) as "a lamentable, dreadful, or fatal event or affair; calamity; disaster." "Tragedy" is an emotional word. It is a word that speaks of death foreseen but unavoided. When one is a victim of a tragedy, he or she is the victim of chance combined with the inherent evil of human nature that causes calamity; disaster. Someone who sets out to cause a tragedy does so because he is so empty inside that he does not think anything can fill the void, and he develops a hatred in his heart that fills him up. He may weep while he kills, because none of the deaths fills him like he thought they would. They just cause more emptiness, and the fire burns hotter.

Quite aside from the definitions and senses of the words, there is the matter of the victim's families to consider. If I had a child or a friend who was killed at V-Tech (and thank the Lord I did not, but God be with those who did), I would not want to see the word "massacre." It would remind me of the helplessness of the victims. "Tragedy" is easier to live with every day.

Gun Control
This subject has been debated to death; there is nothing more that I can add. I will say that gun-free zones are a good idea in the same way that Communism sounded great on paper. You have to assume that everyone will comply in order for it to work. I am completely in favor of doing whatever it takes to make sure the psychopaths cannot buy guns. However, this should not mean that the worthy should not be allowed to carry. And there lies the crux of the problem: Who is able to read a man's heart and see what his intentions are? Can anyone actually be sure of what they will do with a gun? I don't think I can be sure. I am afraid to buy a gun because I don't know if I'm responsible enough. But people who are trained in their use for the service of the public, like the police and the Reserve Officers Training Corps, should be allowed to have the option of carrying a weapon.

I have nothing more to say. My heart goes out to the families affected by the V-Tech tragedy. God be with you, and also with the family of the killer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home